IDF lookout post on Gaza border was left unguarded for 12 hours
23 hours ago
An Israeli military post near the Gaza border was left without any security personnel for about 12 hours last week even as 60 female lookouts were stationed inside the Israel Defense Forces confirmed Wednesday The post located at the Urim base just 10 kilometers 6 miles from the Gaza Strip was entirely unguarded with no soldier assigned even to the entrance gate The IDF called the lapse a serious error and said a full investigation was underway A dedicated security force composed of combat soldiers was dispatched to the base as soon as the situation became known and remained onsite until the regular security detail arrived the IDF said in a statement The incident comes over a year after the Hamasled assault on Oct 7 during which terrorists overran the Nahal Oz base killing 15 female lookouts and abducting seven others to Gaza In total 53 Israeli soldiers were killed in the battle over the post Get the Ynetnews app on your smartphone Google Play httpsbitly4eJ37pE Apple App Store httpsbitly3ZL7iNv Following last weeks security failure senior IDF officials met with the lookouts stationed at Urim who reportedly expressed fear and frustration The army acknowledged their concerns saying the failure was a malfunction and adding The IDF regrets the distress caused by the incident In the aftermath of the Oct 7 massacre the military has debated changes to the deployment of lookouts Proposals include arming them or relocating them to more protected command centers away from the front lines in Gaza and the West Bank Among the seven lookouts abducted from Nahal Oz oneNoa Marcianowas killed in captivity and her body later returned to Israel Another Ori Megidish was rescued in a special forces operation Five othersLiri Elbag Karina Arayev Daniela Gilboa Naama Levy and Agam Bergerwere released in a recent hostage deal Follow Ynetnews on Facebook Twitter Instagram Telegram